5 tips to follow if you are involved in a car accident
A good accident lawyer in Palm Springs can provide you with outstanding legal advice if you’ve been injured in a car accident as a result of someone else’s carelessness. But even before you retain an attorney to represent you, there are several things you should do immediately after any accident.
- If there is any doubt, under no circumstances should you admit you are at fault while you are at the scene of the accident. Any statements you make at the scene can be used as evidence and can come back to haunt you later on.
- Seek out an experienced car accident attorney. It takes years for attorneys to accumulate the experience and understanding of state laws that allows them to be of greatest benefit.
- File an accident report and report the accident to your insurance company. Your insurance company cannot protect you if they don’t know you’ve been in an accident or if it is not reported promptly. You should also do whatever you can to cooperate with your insurance company, including working with them to inspect your vehicle and speak with your doctors if you’ve sought medical care.
- Document your injuries, medical bills and lost wages resulting from not being able to work. These will form the basis of your claim going forward and the better job you do, the more likely it is that you will get a full recovery sum.
- Seek out legal advice early in the process. The sooner you get advice from a lawyer, the less likely you are to make mistakes that could cost you dearly later on. Accident victims with lawyers generally recover more in compensation than do people who try to settle with insurance companies on their own.
Dale Gribow, Attorney at Law proudly serves Palm Springs and surrounding California communities.