STAGECOACH DUI LAST WEEK? DO YOU KNOW YOUR 20 SECRET RIGHTS?
Though often referred to as a DUI criminal defense lawyer, I choose to not view my DUI clients as "criminals". I prefer to view them, and more importantly to treat them, as good, honest people that have found themselves in a scary and unfortunate situation after screwing up.
I look upon my job as protecting the Constitutional Rights of every American who drinks and drives and gets arrested for a DUI. I do however "Change Hats" when I SUE Drunk Drivers for damages to my injured or deceased clients.
Last week I asked if you were "HELD UP" at STAGECOACH? If you were "arrested" then you must know your 20 secret rights.
- Field Sobriety and Breath Tests at the scene are OPTIONAL.
- If no drinks for a few hours then request a Blood test at the station.
- It takes about an hour for a drink to go in or out of your blood.
- A DMV hearing MUST be requested within 10 days or your right to a hearing is lost and your license will be suspended.
- Miranda rights are not as important as it applies to DUI questioning at the scene. The DA can make a case without anything you say and just uses the FST's (walk the line, finger to nose etc.) and the Chemical (Breath or Blood) Tests.
- Silence is Golden and Handcuffs are Silver so DON'T TALK to POLICE without your lawyers permission.
- The correct charge is Driving Under the Influence, not Drunk Driving. You merely have to be impaired.
- The DA will ask for Jail Time on a first time DUI.
- There are alternatives to jail time.
- For the last 6 months the DA makes their best offer at the Arraignment. Thus aging the case, as was done in the past, may not be in the client's best interest.
- A DUI TEST REFUSAL results in a 1 year CDL SUSPENSION.
- DUI: filed as VC 23152 a: Driving under the influence & VC 23152 b: Driving with a BA (Blood Alcohol reading) of .08.
- DUI requires both a DMV and Court hearing.
- The 23152 a & b filing gives the DA two (2) bites of the apple.
- A 23152b only deals with an alcohol reading of .08 or more
- If you lose the DMV hearing your license is suspended for 4-5 months and if you plead in court or lose at trial your license is again suspended by DMV.......but you do not have to endure 2 suspensions.
- A DUI/ Reckless Driving or At Fault accident is 2 points and Traffic tickets are 1 point.
- A license is suspended if total Points are 4 in 1 year: 6 in 2 years or 8 points in 3 years
- Traffic School removes a point.
- The Indio court only accepts Traffic School AFTER A TRIAL (if the cop does not object).
To avoid DUI aggravation:
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, CALL A TAXI OR UBER.........IT IS A LOT CHEAPER THAN CALLING ME!
If you have any questions regarding this column or ideas for future columns please contact Dale Gribow Attorney at Law at 760-565-0533.
"TOP LAWYER" - Palm Springs Life (DUI) 2011-2019
10.0 AVVO DUI Perfect Peer Rating
"Preeminent" - Martindale Hubbell Legal Directory
"Best Attorneys of America" Selected by "Rue" (Limited to Top 100/State)